Audio Engineering – Which Education Is The Right One?Jochen Sachse
The adequate education and training in audio engineering and music production can be the key to your success. Because of the extensive range of audio engineering topics, a merely autodidactic approach, such as Internet research and YouTube videos, will not really get you anywhere. In fact, this is the first criterion when selecting an audio course:
1. Learn audio nngineering in a structured and systematic Way
Learning can be easy – or not. An excellent educational design in which the latest scientific findings define methodology and didactics can make all the difference. There has been a lot of development in teaching and learning in the past few years; scientific studies show how information is acquired, processed and memorised. Institutes that use this knowledge let you progress quickly and effectively.
So what exactly should you bear in mind when you opt for a training course?
- A certification by official institutions guarantees that the course is well-structured in terms of didactics and pedagogy.
- A clear and modular course structure with consecutive contents helps you to learn, repeat and deepen your knowledge efficiently.
- A good course is multimedia-based: online campus, practical exercises and examples, video tutorials, workshops and interactive tasks ensure an optimal transfer of knowledge.
2. You want to learn audio engineering? That works best with tested institutes!
Reliable institutes have a high regard for objective evaluations from independent sources.
- Institutions such as federal agencies or ISO (certified quality management) review educational facilities according to strict quality standards.
- Editorial offices and portals show rankings and ratings by participants.
- Cooperations, for example with Audio Engineerign Societies or governmental departments indicate reputation and industry relevance.
3. Your personal preferences are important!
Feeling comfortable is an essential factor in successful learning and studying. Decide for yourself which of the following points the institute of your choice has to fulfil:
- Do the offered contents and qualifications match with what you want to learn? Certificates and diplomas are documents of your audio engineering skills and can be useful in your freelance work and on the job market.
- How important is personal contact with your teachers and tutors? Can you easily reach your school by phone, mail and chat?
- Do you get relevant feedback on your work? Can you also submit your own music productions? Professional evaluation of your songs and mixes is absolutely essential if you want to be successful with your music.
- The quality and professionalism can also be seen in the teaching staff. Do the variety, the scope and the experience of the staff meet your expectations?
- What about the costs? It pays off to find out in detail about price, scope of services and payment models. Certified schools usually allow tax deductions for training costs and are VAT-exempt, which significantly reduces costs.